It’s always great to see new businesses opening up in Chestertown, and even better to see existing ones flourish and expand. We have 2 recent examples of that to share with you.
Our friends Jenn and John at the Chester River Wine and Cheese have opened a new place just a few steps up the street from the cheese shop, called Welcome Home where you can find cookware, tableware and home textiles. It’s just full of beautiful and functional items. If they don’t have what you’re looking for, they will track it down for you!
Another growing business belongs to the fine folks at Figg’s Ordinary. Starting out selling gluten and refined sugar-free baked goods at the Chestertown Farmers Market, they have had a great response and just opened this lovely spot for breakfast, lunch and snacks. We sincerely wish them both all the best!!
Speaking of gluten-free, we have accumulated a decent repertoire of such recipes and are always looking for ways to incorporate them into our daily breakfast and afternoon tea at the inn. Here is one of our favorites: easy and delicious. Always a winning combination. Enjoy!
Gluten-Free Coconut Macaroons
adapted from Martha Stewart’s recipe
3 large egg whites
½ cup sugar
¾ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
14 ounces sweetened, flaked coconut
optional: ½ cup dried fruit, such as apricots, cherries, cranberries, etc, chopped
makes about 20 macaroons
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the egg whites, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract and whisk vigorously until frothy. Using a spatula, fold in coconut and any optional add-ins.
- Form into cookie shapes using an ice cream scoop or a large spoon. Each one should be roughly 2 tablespoons.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place macaroons about ½ inch apart.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes (rotating sheet at the half way point) or until lightly golden brown.
- Carefully transfer to cooling rack and cool completely before storing. These keep well frozen, or in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 week.