Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Makes 12 regular or 8 giant muffins.
- A two inch piece of fresh ginger, grated on a microplane if you have one or finely chopped
- The zest of 2 well scrubbed lemons
- 1 stick unsalted butter at room temp.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice mixed
- 2 Tbs. granulated sugar mixed
Mix fresh squeezed lemon juice and 2 Tbs. of granulated sugar. Set aside.
Spray muffin tins with non-stick baking spray. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add ginger and lemon zest. Add one egg at a time incorporating the eggs well into the batter/sugar mixture.
Add 1 cup of flour mixture alternating with 1/2 the sour cream. Repeat until all is incorporated. Do not over mix.
Distribute batter into muffin tins. Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden on top. Remove from oven and brush with reserved lemon juice/sugar mixture.