BRAMPTON COCONUT COOKIES
This is one of the most requested cookie recipes at the inn. These babies taste like a delicate macaroon.
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoons pure almond extract
- 2 teaspoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- 4 cups flaked coconut
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar until light. Add the egg yolk, almond extract and orange juice and mix well, scraping down sides of bowl with spatula.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Gradually add to the creamed mixture on low speed. Stir in 3 cups of the coconut. Cover and chill until batter is firm enough to be scooped.
- When ready, using a one inch ice cream scoop, shape batter into balls and roll in remaining 1 cup of coconut.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place cookies 1-2 inches apart and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until just starting to brown.
- Cool for 1 or 2 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.